The PT Course is designed to provide theoretical knowledge and practical skills in preparation for the ACE national certification exam in personal training. Topics include guidelines for instructing safe, effective and purposeful exercise, essentials of the client-trainer relationship, conducting health and fitness assessments, and designing and implementing appropriate exercise programming. The course materials are designed to follow a 9 week schedule consisting of 120-minute classes two times per week and a 60-minute class one time per week.
Course Dates: March 30-June 5, 2014 (9 weeks)
Time: Tuesdays 2-4pm and Thursdays 1-4 p.m.
Course Fee: Student Rate $375 + testing cost
University Affiliate: $400 + testing cost (ARC access required via membership or day pass on lab days only)
General Public: $450 + testing cost (ARC access required via membership or day pass on lab days only)
Location: ARC (Pavilion Fitness Studio and ARC Meeting Rooms)
Course Materials Included:
- ACE’s Essentials of Exercise Science for Fitness Professionals
- ACE Personal Trainer Manual (4th Ed.)
- ACE Personal Trainer Master the Manual Workbook
- Sample Test Package
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand the application of principles of exercise science, human anatomy, and bio–mechanics to movement design and exercise instruction
- Understand principles and methods of training for cardio–respiratory fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility
- Demonstrate the ability to individualize exercise instruction for apparently healthy adults using an exercise progression model
- Demonstrate the proper usage of various commercial fitness machines and equipment utilizing appropriate exercise guidelines and spotting techniques
- Exhibit the communication skills needed in personal fitness instruction
- Download and complete the Personal Trainer Leadership Course Application (see bottom of page) and read all information in its entirety.
- Be sure to select an interview time that works well with your schedule, as make-up interviews are not an option.
- All applications can be submitted via e-mail to Christina Norsworthy at firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off in the Fitness and Wellness Center with attention to Christina Norsworthy.
- Interviews will be conducted at the ARC.
- If accepted, registration fees must be paid in the Business Center of the ARC prior to the start of the class.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
Application Deadline: Friday, February 21, 2014 by 5 p.m.
Interviews: February 26 & 27, 2014 (Details included on the application)
Notification of Acceptance: February 28, 2014
Deadline to Pay Course Fee: March 7, 2014
Files (Click a File to Download)
- Spring_2014_Application-PT.docx (18.3 KB)