Get All You Can from Fitness and Wellness with CR Membership
CR (Campus Recreation) Membership, formerly known as ARC Membership, incorporates the amenities and services of the ARC and other CR programming. Benefits include significant discounts at the Craft Center, Equestrian Center, Outdoor Adventures and Youth Programs. They also include low-cost access to Fitness and Wellness programs such as Group Exercise, Instructional Series and Personal Training. In addition, CR Members enjoy free access to Intramural (IM) Sports, the Rec Pool and Hickey Pool. Explore your own CR lifestyle here.
This Group Exercise (GX) Course is designed to provide the theoretical knowledge and practical skills in preparation for the ACE national certification in group fitness instruction. The ACE Fitness Leadership Course uses a two-pronged approach in preparation to become a certified Group Exercise Instructor. Participants will have the opportunity for hands on interactive training associated with cuing and class choreography in addition to the theoretical base presented in lectures. By the end of course, individuals should be proficient in presenting class formats such as sculpting, step, kickboxing and hi/lo. Topics include guidelines for instructing safe, effective and purposeful exercises, essentials of the instructor-participant relationship, the principles of motivation to encourage adherence in the group fitness setting, effective instructor-to-participant communication techniques, methods for enhancing group leadership, and the group fitness instructor’s professional role. The course materials are designed to follow a 9-week schedule consisting of two-hour class meetings, two times per week, and one one-hour meeting once a week.
Course Dates: April 2–June 6, 2019 (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Time: Tuesdays 2–3:30 p.m. and Thursdays 2–4 p.m.
Location: ARC (Group Exercise Studio and ARC Meeting Rooms)
Student Rate $375 + testing cost
University Affiliate: $400 + testing cost (ARC access required via CR Membership or Day Pass on lab days only)
General Public: $450 + testing cost (ARC access required via CR Membership or Day Pass on lab days only)
Course Materials Included:
- ACE Group Fitness Instructor Manual (3rd Ed.)
- ACE Essentials of Exercise Science for Fitness Professionals (3rd Ed.)
- ACE Group Fitness Instructor Master the Manual Workbook (3rd Ed.)
- Multiple-choice practice exam
Upon sucessful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the application of principles of exercise science, human anatomy and bio-mechanics to movement design and exercise instruction;
- Identify the principles and methods of training for cardio/respiratory fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility;
- Apply various teaching techniques and strategies to enhance exercise instruction in the group fitness setting;
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills and recognize the role of the group fitness instructor as it relates to legal issues and professional responsibility.
- Download and complete the GX ACE Fitness Leadership Course Application below and read all information in its entirety.
- Be sure to select an interview time that works well with your schedule, as make-up interviews are not an option.
- All applications can be submitted via e-mail to Brian Luu at email@example.com or dropped off in the Fitness and Wellness Center with attention to Brian Luu.
- Interviews will be conducted at the ARC.
- If accepted, registration fees must be paid in the Business Center of the ARC prior to the start of the class.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
Application Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2019 by 5 p.m.
Interviews: March 6 and 7, 2019 (Details included on the application.)
Notification of Acceptance: Friday, March 8, 2019
Deadline to Pay Course Fee: Monday, April 1, 2019