Want to be more involved in your favorite Rec Sports leagues? Become an official or team captain! Get more information and view training schedules and guidelines below.
Officials and Team Captains
Rec Sports officials must attend the rules clinic for the sport they wish to officiate, to learn general policies, sport rules, and officiating mechanics at this clinic. All clinics are mandatory.
- Indoor Soccer Rules Clinic: Tuesday, Jan 4, 6:30-8 pm, via Zoom
- Volleyball Rules Clinic : Mon Jan 10, 8:30-10 pm, via Zoom
Clinics are designed to give you some on the court experience, to learn the facility, equipment, setup, mechanics, positioning, officiating techniques, and other nuances of the job. All clinics are mandatory.
- Indoor Soccer Court Clinic : Thu Jan 6, 6:30-8 pm, via Zoom
- Volleyball Court Clinic : Wed Jan 12, 8:30-10 pm, via Zoom
Clinics are designed to give you some hands-on experience and allow you to officiate scrimmage games. All clinics are mandatory.
Volleyball Scrimmage Clinic : Thu Jan 13, 7-10 pm, ARC MAC
The purpose of the captains’ quiz is to explain the Rec Sports guidelines, policies and procedures. They will also cover some basic rules and equipment/uniform requirements for some sports.
Each team entering a Rec Sports activity must appoint a team captain. The captain is the official liaison between the team and the Rec Sports office. The captain must be listed as a member of the team on the official team roster. Specific responsibilities of the captain include, but are not limited to:
- Submit and pass the online Captain's Quiz.
- A quiz may be required for each sport before a team may be registered on Fusion IM.
- Each quiz will have questions from both policy and the rules of the sport.
- Notifying team members of playing rules, playing schedules/schedule changes (often due to weather-related cancellations), eligibility guidelines, and ensuring that their team is in compliance with all Rec Sports policies and procedures.
- Submitting complete and correct team/player information.
- Representing the team in the case of protests.
- Cooperating fully with the Rec Sports staff during all activities in regards to: signing team members to the online roster, lineups, scores, protests, injuries, player ejections, team conduct, spectator conduct, and any other situations that might arise.
- Serving as a leader during all activities by promoting sportsmanship and by helping to create a positive atmosphere.
- All players who register a singles or doubles team is considered the captain of that team.
Winter 2021 Captain's Materials